27 agosto 2007

History is fun!













Mom and I went to Jamestown, VA in order to immerse ourselves in some serious history. It is the 400th anniversary of the founding of Jamestown this year and I have been determined to go for years. Mom was kind enough to go with me. We had a blast and I was in nerd heaven. There was so much to see, I probably could have spent an entire week covering everything we did in one and a half days. I really want to go back again now that I have an idea of the best way to see America's Historic Triangle - Jamestown, Williamsburg and Yorktown. The beginning and end of Colonial America are within 20 minutes of one another. The 2 coolest things were the reading of the Declaration of Independence from the Court House at Williamsburg and the life-size reconstructions of the Susan Constant, Godspeed and Discovery (the 3 ships bringing the first permanent English settlers.) Of the tour group, I received the lucky penny dated 2007 from the guide at Jamestown Settlement. If you can imagine an aging hippy with a long gray ponytail missing a few teeth then you have our guide in mind. He was really knowledgeable and awesome. It makes me want to retire there and work as a "historical interpreter". Mom found a Rita's there and we happened to have a coupon from our hotel for a free ice. I stood where the Queen of England stood when she visited in May. It also happened to be the sight of a massacre by the Indians of some dumb colonists from Jamestowne forte. Viva history!
Mi madre y yo fuimos a Jamestown, VA para pasar un fin de semana en el medio ambiente de historia. Es el 400o aniversario de la fundación de Jamestown este año y me han determinado para ir por años. Mi madre era tan amable en ir conmigo. Teníamos un tiempo muy divertido y estaba en cielo de los intelectuales. Había tanto a ver, habría podido pasar probablemente una semana completa sin estar aburrida con todo que hay a hacer pero solo pasamos un día y medio visitando todo. Realmente deseo ir de nuevo ahora que tengo una idea de la mejor manera de ver el triángulo histórico de América - Jamestown, Williamsburg y Yorktown. El principio y el fin de América colonial están ubicado muy cercita. Las 2 cosas más cheveres eran la lectura de El Declaración de la Independencia del Palacio de Justicia en Williamsburg y las reconstrucciones de los barcos Susan Constant, Godspeed y Discovery (los 3 que trajeron a los primeros colonos ingleses permanentes.) En el grupo del viaje, recibí un centavo que trae suerte con la fecha 2007 de la guía en el establecimiento de Jamestown. Si usted pudiera imaginar un hippy poco viejo con un cola de caballo gris y largo que se falta algunos dientes, así usted tendría nuestra guía en su mente. Él era bien informado e impresionante en realidad. Me hace querer retirarme allí y trabajar como "intérprete histórico" en el futuro. Mi madre encontró una Rita's allí y sucedimos tener una cupón de nuestro hotel para un helada. Estaba a pie donde la reina de Inglaterra estaba a pie cuando ella visitó en mayo. También los indios se masacraron algunos colonos estúpidos del fuerte de Jamestowne en el mismito lugar. ¡Viva Historia!

9 comentarios:

Fetcher dijo...

Three ships, three little ships. Sailing off to great reknown ...
Sailing half around the world, to build a place called, Jamestown!

Laura dijo...

Nancy--it is good to see your blog--I am so glad that I found yall again!
check out our blog
schuckducky.blogspot.com
love ya!

Anónimo dijo...

Yo No comprendo. Espanol por favor!!!

FairfaxBuddha dijo...

Sometimes I don't have the time to write the spanish immediately, I do that at a later date. So a bit later today the spanish translation will be posted. Besides, whoever made that comment is not Hispanic because the No should not be capitalized and there should be the upside down exclamation point at the beginning of the second sentence. :-P

FairfaxBuddha dijo...

Not to mention the ñ. (Done by holding down Alt and pushing 164)

Jeremymlad dijo...

Nancy! I haven't seen you in forever! You're looking gorgeous!

Natalie dijo...

WHOA MAMA! Look at you!! You look terrific, Nancy! What are you up to lately? I'm so excited to see you online! :) Check out my blog too - KEEP IN TOUCH chiquita! ;)

Vicky dijo...

How fun for you and Mom! I am so jealous that you get to see more of Virginia and all its historic sites it has to offer!

Anónimo dijo...

ñññññññññññ