09 agosto 2009

Sunday in El Salvador

Went to church today at the local ward by Douglas' house. It happens to be the stake center, but there are loads of LDS churches here, 2 within easy walking distance and another not too far away. The talks were on how adversity can strengthen us. The first talk was about the Martin handcart company and I loved that not one of them likely had an ancestor that crossed the plains and yet the stories still meant so much.

I was kind of sad because I couldn't stay for all three hours, there was a family get together I was invited to that was an hour away in the campo. We had tamales de ilote, atole de ilote, riguas, and ilote. Evidently after the corn (ilote) harvest, the patriarch of the family invites everyone to come and they do if they are in the country. There had to have been over a hundred people there. I will post pictures a bit later.

Tomorrow I move into my apartment so I will be sure to post pics of all of that. Life has been good and restful here. I'm glad I came when I did so I could have a little vacation before starting classes.

2 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

so happy things are going well so far. We think of you and pray for you everyday!!!!!

Rojin dijo...

Nancy!!!

It's me, Rojin!!!!!!! I miss you SOOO much! I realized just how much I miss you after seeing the pictures you posted of yourself in El Salvador :( But no sad smileys--this is such an exciting time for you, and I am very excited for you as well :) I'm in Canada right now visiting relatives, but I will be returning home tomorrow and back to work as usual on Monday.

Please take care of yourself and I can't wait to read more about your adventures and see beautiful pictures :)

God bless,
Rojin

P.S. lol I have no idea what the Spanish instructions say for how to post this message--so here's hoping that this gets posted! :)