04 julio 2007

Once Started....


It seems counter-intuitive to begin a blog with sad news, but there has been a death that has affected my life and I am unsure if it will be recorded in any other written media. Douglas' father, Estanislao Alberto Urquilla died yesterday, the 3rd of July, at 10am Salvadorian time. He was a humble man who worked hard for his family and left behind 2 wonderful boys, Douglas and Alvaro, who are hard workers and great men. Also in the Urquilla family are 2 grandsons, Beto and Kique, and 2 almost daughters-in law, Mari and myself. These men suffered the death of their mother when they were young, at 13 and 11 years old, and now are orphans. I only met Señor Beto twice in my life, but both times he was so very polite and kind. He was a quiet man and he had a smile that lit up his entire face. He will be much missed, especially by Douglas who has lived with him his entire life. Though I would love to be with the family at this difficult time, I find myself unable to travel to El Salvador in order to grieve with the family and am left to do so alone, 3000 miles away. The truth is, amongst my friends and I, we are experiencing all of life in a few short months. Ruby is getting married in September and Yuri is pregnant and will give birth in February. Thus we come full circle. I will be with the Urquilla family once again at Christmas, a happier time for all.

Se parece contador-intuitivo comenzar un blog con noticias tristes, pero ha habido una muerte que ha afectado mi vida y estoy insegura si está registrado en cualquiera otro medio escrito. El padre de Douglas, Estanislao Alberto Urquilla se murió ayer, el 3 de julio, el tiempo del 10am en El Salvador. Él era un hombre humilde que trabajó difícilmente para su familia y dejó 2 muchachos maravillosos, Douglas y Álvaro, que son trabajadores duros y grandes hombres. También en la familia de Urquilla hay 2 nietos, Beto y Kique, y 2 casi nueras, Mari y yo misma. Estos hombres sufrieron la muerte de su madre cuando eran jóvenes, tuvieron 13 y 11 años, y ahora son huérfanos. Solamente conocí Señor Beto dos veces en mi vida, pero ambos épocas él era tan cortés y bueno. Él era un hombre reservado y él tenía una sonrisa que encendió su cara entera. A Douglas lo faltará mucho, especialmente porque ha vivido con él su vida entera. Aunque me gustaría estar con la familia en este tiempo difícil, me encuentro incapaz viajar a El Salvador para afligirse con la familia y la hago sola, 3000 millas lejos. La verdad está, entre mis amigos y yo, tenemos toda de la vida en estos meses cortos. Ruby se casará en Septiembre y Yuri está embarazada y dará a luz en Febrero. Así hacemos un círculo completo. Estaré con la familia de Urquilla de nuevo en Navidad, un rato más feliz para todos.

2 comentarios:

Fetcher dijo...

What the crap, Nancy? Rachel and I are having a baby in October, and we don't get a mention??? But someone else is having a baby in February, and they get in???

Wow ....

FairfaxBuddha dijo...

Hey... I was commenting on the wholeness of the experience of life between my friends and I. See today's comment.