03 enero 2009

My head case

It has officially been confirmed that I am not a big head. In fact, in a turn of events that will be joked about for a long time, it turns out that my brain is too big for my head.
I was diagnosed yesterday with a Chiari malformation so I will be having brain surgery next week, the 8th. The neurosurgeon, Dr. Watson, will remove part of my skull and vertabrae and drain the excess fluid that has built up around my spinal cord because my brain has been pushing on it. Evidently it's pretty serious and can result in paraplegia if left untreated. Luckily, immediate surgery can treat it completely with no return of symptoms. I've always wondered why I get killer headaches when I yell too loud at sporting events or when I shave my legs in the shower. It was discovered incidentally as I was getting scanned for my pituitary tumor and the Chiari was seen on the perifery of the MRI with a further scan following it up. I'll try to get a copy of the MRI to post b/c it is super clear even to the untrained eye.
I've never spent time in a hospital as a patient before, it should be interesting. I have approached it all rather dispassionately but I have spells of realization that I push aside so I don't get too emotional. I guess I can just chalk it up to having an interesting and eventful life.

5 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

good luck on your surgery , I do hope you have a expert chiari dr. they are all over the us.

Angie dijo...

We'll pray for you. Lots of love and a quick recovery. You are the best!

lace1070 dijo...

Good luck with your surgery ~ If you have any questions please feel free to e-mail me. I have a lot of info about chiari on my blog that might help answer some questions ~ hugs ~ Lace
http://livelovelaugh-lace1013.blogspot.com/

lace1070 dijo...

Good luck with your surgery ~ If you have any questions please feel free to e-mail me. I have a lot of info about chiari on my blog that might help answer some questions ~ hugs ~ Lace
http://livelovelaugh-lace1013.blogspot.com/

Tiana dijo...

oh my goodness Nancy! Best of luck and you will be in our prayers.